Wednesday 13 April 2011

I am a value stealer.

UPDATE*
The tip did indeed lose, but I am disappointed in the way the race played out. I'm not one to take a shot at Ruby Walsh but I was disappointed with the ride given to Current Event. He was held up to great effect last time out and scooted away over the last 2 flights. He ran this race to perfectly suit Third Intention. He made the pace and that certainly helped Third Intention settle. Current Event however did go out like a light, maybe he burst a blood vessel, I can't be sure but to me it looked as if something did turn out to be wrong with Nicholls runner. Time will only tell.


Hey readers, my name is Darren. I'm a 27 year old hod carrier with a passion for racing. I don't go to many meetings but I study racing daily.

This is my first blog and I am hoping to show you all how I bet. I look for value in a race. My selections aren't big prices but they still represent value to me. I do not bet everyday as I only bet on races in which I can only see one winner.

I'm sure I don't know as much as many of the people who do these blogs but I'll try and hold my own.
I was going to start my blog yesterday but I couldn't find a selection so I held off until today;

2:10 Cheltenham - CURRENT EVENT. 7/4.

He's always been held in some regard by Paul Nicholls and it was a bold choice to keep him away from both Cheltenham and Aintree. He was 1L second in his hurdles debut which suprisingly was a Listed affair in France. The comfortable British debut scorer Domtaline was well held in 3rd. Current Event struggled on his first start in England when 6th in an Aintree maiden hurdle but he had an excuse and has subsequently undergone a breathing operation. His first start since was impressive, Current Event was receiving a little weight all round last time but he beat the ever-improving Fontano from Emma Lavelle's yard by 18L, 11L further back in 3rd was a well regarded Philip Hobbs inmate in the shape of Tony Star. Hobbs' horse was back on the track after previously winning a race that has produced no less than 6 winners and many a placed effort. Current Event was always travelling and jumping well, he quickened smartly and with such little in the way or recent racing he still has a lot of improvement to come, it's also encouraging that he goes well on any sort of ground as it was raining towards the end of racing at Cheltenham yesterday.

The main danger looks to be Third Intention, a strong 7th in the Triumph Hurdle at Cheltenham. That is the best form on offer and he holds strong claims now dropped in class but at likely short odds he is worth taking on as there is atleast 1 good reason as to why. The lesser reason would be Joe Tizzard, it is of my opinion that Joe Tizzard isn't all that good a jockey. Colin Tizzard's horses seem to improve a lot when Joe isn't riding. A fine example of this is Douryna, a horse thought well-handicapped by Mr Tizzard. Joe rode him 3 times and could only finish at best 3rd in a 0-95 handicap chase, falling and pulling up on the other two starts. Stepped up in class to a 0-105 handicap chase and with Daryl Jacob riding, Douryna hacked up by 13 lengths ahead of a next time out 9L winner off the same mark. The other reason is Third Intention's inability to settle early on. On appearance he settled just fine in the Triumph hurdle but the bigger field and strong gallop played no small part. Back in just a 6 runner race with no confirmed front-runner I fear he'll revert to his old ways and fight for his head and run himself into the ground, even more so if there is any juice in the ground.

Higgy's Ragazzo was a good winner of two low rated events and will need to step up if he is trouble the 2 market leaders. Based on flat and hurdles form he is clearly suited by good ground and may struggle if there is any cut in the ground. The other 3 runners; Smart Catch, Occasionally Yours and more so Dona have to give weight away and with weaker form than the others they should struggle in this hot looking race.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Darren, good luck with your punting and the blog.

    Will follow with interest.

    All the best
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darren

    Good luck with your selections, I will be watching with interest.

    I have become a follower and will add a link to your blog from mine.

    Would you consider adding a link to my blog. The address is : http://patientspeculation.blogspot.com

    Good luck
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darren,

    Good luck with your new blog...and look to take advice from Mark as he is a man that will be a certain success in this field.

    Jake

    http://thebankbuilder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darren

    If you don't mind i'll watch your blog for a bit before I exchange links. If you think Current Event is value at 7/4, you must surely think he is around an Even money shot, which i'm not sure is right, and I think your being a bit harsh on Joe Tizzard personally. A lot of people seem to be giving him a fair amount of stick of late, it seems the "in" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for viewing the blog and the feedback.
    I'll add all the links now and I'll check out your blogs straight away too.

    Robert, I've been a keen follower of your blog, and I certainly respect your input. I think Current Event is value because he is the only one I can see winning the race. If I were to price the race up I'd have it:

    Current Event 11/10
    Third Intention 3/1
    Higgy's Ragazzo 10/3
    Dona 25/1
    50/1 bar.

    That is what I would see as their correct prices, but as Third Intention brings in the best form the bookmakers kind of have to have him favourite.

    Good luck, Darren.

    ReplyDelete